CAPTCHA is a computer test used to determine who is the user of the system: human or a computer. This mechanism is used in order to eliminate spam and automated extraction of data from web sites to distinguish humans from bots annoying, forcing them to pass a reverse Turing test.
Usually the user is prompted to enter in the form field, the expression of numbers and letters of the different register that is shown in automatically generated picture.
Currently, there are a lot of Captcha plugins for WordPress. Today we will examine four of the most popular tool in this category. They have different conceptual views, but focused initially on the implementation of the same function.
Each plugin has a number of advantages and disadvantages. We will highlight positive and negative points.
Originally created as a plug-in to plugin Contact Form 7.
- Is a serious barrier for bots and has zero tolerance for spam.
- Instructions for using the plugin are very clear and easy.
- The readability of the symbols of the test is quite high.
- There is no translation in many languages.
- Can only be used as an addition to Contact Form 7 not working independently; not designed to work with other plugins. It is originally created for Contact Form 7.
This is a very simple and clear Captcha for a user. But on closer examination we came to the conclusion that the code captcha and actually the picture is not going away, and “live” in the temporary folder.
Actually it is not a problem. When updating the website in a temporary folder just appear two files: php (code) and png (image code). In fact they weigh a mere penny. A few kilobytes.
This is of course very good and easy solution but, again, unsafe for your hosting and website. But if, for example, a large number will go to the page. This is not a couple of kilobytes, and 200 or 2000. So make your own conclusions…
This plugin adds various methods anti-spam for different WordPress forms: comments, registration, lost password, login or all. Compatible with WP, WPMU and BuddyPress.
- Small, unobtrusive, a simple plugin.
- Easy to install and configure.
- Perfectly displayed on mobile devices and tablets.
- Promptly updated and tested after the release of the new version of WordPress.
- This plug-in requires no registration, download additional libraries and stuff.
- Has a reset button in case if you can’t read the characters.
- According to users, this plugin protects your website from spam registrations and spam comments.
- People with color blindness, it is very difficult to determine some color and to correctly interpret the letters or symbols.
Unfortunately, this plugin does not stop spam registration, as stated by the developer. Most likely mechanism of this plugin is outdated and is unable to perform its functions in full. Spammers don’t sit still and they are looking for new ways to attack, so developers need to invent and implement a new alternative implementation of validation and protection.
The developer also did not think about people with color blindness, because color distorted characters is not the best solution for user interfaces of this category.
As the creators of this product is a clickable Captcha that allows to reduce the amount of spam and malicious bots, and is simple enough for people.
- A simple validation mechanism that uses the image.
- Quick installation and ease of use.
- The availability of mobile version plug-in.
- Selection of a desired image of all the images is more easy and convenient way to answer a captcha for many users than trying to read the awful distorted text.
- Playback function audio captcha for users with disabilities.
- Support for multiple languages.
- The choice of color scheme.
- Does not work with WP Multisite.
- Looks like an advertisement.
- Distract from the main content.
This plugin can make your website more colorful. You can easily change the color of Confident CAPTCHA by selecting one of several standard options on the settings page. Thus the plugin will look great no matter where you place it.
The main disadvantage of this plugin is that it looks like is at the bottom of the review, asking people to click it before they post their content. There is also no possibility to add text to users, such as: “prove that You are a human by clicking on the photo below”.
I think that this CAPTCHA is not suitable for serious web sites and projects. Because when your website is replete with a huge number of colorful pictures, it can distract your visitors from the important content.
Allows you to add super protection to standard WordPress forms through mathematical logic. Fully compatible with Contact Form that allows you to create highly secure contact form.
- Easy to install and use.
- High readability.
- The verification mechanism uses the normal mathematical operations: addition, subtraction and multiplication.
- The ability to use verbal, digital, or mixed items display captcha.
- Captcha from is available in 36 languages, and constantly increasing number of transfers.
- Full compatibility with Contact Form.
- The presence of a PRO version with support for Contact Form 7 and BuddyPress (registration form, comments, group creation).
- Availability of detailed documentation, step-by-step video instructions on how to configure and install, as well as text instructions with screenshots.
- With an option of customization.
- The free version is not compatible with BuddyPress. You have to get the premium version of the plugin to work with BuddyPress and Contact Form 7.
- Priority technical support and guaranteed response during the day are only available when purchasing Captcha PRO. Requests from users of free versions can be considered to five days.
- Every 6 months have to renew the license for the product. If you do not renew your license, you can continue to use the PRO version but you will no longer be available to priority technical support and future product updates.
Captcha fromis the best solution for protection from spam and bots. The plugin is very easy to use, but your vision will not suffer from attempts to identify the distorted characters.
The installation process takes place almost instantly, and users can immediately start using the captcha plugin by copying the shortcode to the desired page. Developers are constantly introducing new options, and assist users with any questions.
All shortcomings are solved with the purchase and installation of. There are more opportunities for compatibility with BuddyPress and Contact Form 7. And you also get priority technical support and guaranteed response during the day.
Thus, after a review of all the plugins we can conclude thatfrom the company — this is the most simple and convenient tool to prevent the activity of spambots. Other plugins are also good, but they have many disadvantages. Image, letters, inconsistent color changes not practical, as simple and universal mathematics.
Every day creates a huge number of new sites, and each resource needs protection. In this article, we considered the primary tools for protecting your online resource and hope that one of them will help you to solve the problems with potential attacks and unwanted messages.