The search feature WordPress default not functional enough, if you compare it with all your favorite Google. Besides being easy, sometimes not lead to relevant results, search WordPress also may not include all necessary information, especially if you’re using WordPress more as a CMS than as a platform for blogging.
For example, if you want to have the search function return results from a custom field used for your custom post type, it is impossible to do from the toolbar WordPress.
If you need more control over the search on the WordPress site, or are you looking for a way to improve the search function offered to find search plugins for WordPress.
In this list you will find free and premium search plugins. They can do useful things:
- Manually assign specific weight to the various criteria to Refine the search algorithm.
- To include in the search results, custom fields, custom record types and short codes.
- To add a live AJAX search (so visitors could see the results as you enter them).
- To perform some other minor settings, which can make your site search WordPress more convenient.
SearchWP – the most complete WordPress search plugin (or one of them!). Unfortunately, it is not free.
SearchWP gives you detailed control over the search functionality of WordPress. Using the plugin you can:
- To assign a custom weight to control important parts of your content.
- To add a more complete search to search on custom fields (including information on the WooCommerce product), the output of short code and PDF/Office etc.
- To exclude specific content from search results.
- To view the search statistics to see what people are looking (and if they can find it).
You can also create multiple configurations of the search, using different search types in different places of your website, although you will need.
The plugin uses the style of the default search as mentioned in your topic, so that everything will look in keeping with the style of the theme. So there is no need to mess around with custom styles.
And if you want even more functionality, there is also a modular add-on that will provide:
- Fuzzy matches.
- Highlighting the search query.
- The terms are synonyms.
Prices start at 79 US dollars for the use of the plugin on one site.
Relevanssi is another great option to revise your search in WordPress and make the results more accurate. Unlike SearchWP, the Relevanssi there’s a free version.
With the free version you can:
- To include in the search result, custom fields, comments, output short code taxonomies and custom post types.
- Search using “quotes” exact match (SearchWP allows you to do).
- Use the OR and and queries.
- Highlight keywords in search results.
- To adjust the weighting specified for titles, tags, and comments.
- Show search suggestions.
And withversion you will be able to:
- To index PDF content.
- To organize search in several sites for WordPress Multisite.
- Index any column in the table wp_posts.
- To assign a custom weight for publish types, taxonomies or new records.
- To use some other useful features.
Price from 99 USD depending on the chosen package.
Everything Search is a simple plugin that extends WordPress search by default.
With it, you can enable or disable search:
- Custom fields,
- The names of the categories/descriptions,
And also you can highlight search terms in results.
It is much easier than the previous two plugins, but if you are satisfied with the search algorithm by default, and you just want to expand your coverage, then Search All copes.
The plugin is free.
Ajax Search is a popular plugin withand premium version, which adds a live search AJAX on your WordPress website. That is, visitors immediately will see results as you type – no reboot required page. A demo version can be viewed . And it works both on desktop and on mobile devices.
In addition to the basic search functions in real time, you can also:
- To organize the search in custom fields and custom record types.
- Exclude certain categories.
- To include images in the search results.
If you go to the paid version you also get:
- Search for WooCommerce, bbPress, BuddyPress and some others.
- Grouping by category or by type of record.
- Other themes/layouts.
- Search statistics.
- Some other useful features.
The Pro version is worth 36 USD.
SearchWP Live Ajax Search is another live AJAX search plugin from the same developer that SearchWP. Despite the name, you don’t need SearchWP to use this plugin. This plugin will use SearchWP if installed, but it is not a mandatory requirement.
In the plugin there is a search widget that you can use to easily add live search to any area widgets. But if you want to use it in other areas, you will need at least some basic familiarity with the code to implement the plugin.
The plugin is free.
The search plugins WordPress, which are presented above, focused on adding additional information into the search results.
What to do if you want to go the other way around?
Search Exclude – a free plugin that allows you to use a checkbox on the editing screen to exclude any post or page from the search results of your website.
The plugin is a simple, free and does what it promises.
The plugin offers a more limited approach to enhancing the search of your website. It adds to the search engine of WordPress by default, the ability to search the contents of the selected field plugin Advanced Custom Fields PRO.
Advanced custom fields is a popular option for managing custom fields. So if you use it on your website you can install this plugin as a lightweight option to make these fields searchable.
The plugin is free.
8. The search plugins WooCommerce
There are many popular plugins, specifically developed to improve search WooCommerce. But since most people probably don’t work with WooCommerce stores, add them to one section:
- – adds direct search for your products AJAX WooCommerce. Free.
- – search in real time and the ability to search custom fields, including image/the price of the product in the search and more. Free.
- – adds a live search, including image/product price, and other useful features. 49 USD.
If you are looking for the plugin “all-in-one” to make big changes in search WordPress SearchWP or Relevanssi suggest as a good starting option. Other plugins are great for small settings, but these two offer an integrated approach.
And if you use WooCommerce store, we recommend the plugins listed in paragraph 8 because they do an excellent job with the inclusion of the relevant information about the product, such as price and images, which makes the search in your store more convenient for users.