Search on WordPress by default is not effective enough. A huge breakthrough came in search technology, starting with the stages of the emergence of CMS. Current functionality meet the requirements of the 2003, but not 2016.
There are many ways to improve and to make a standard search on WordPress more efficient. Often the default search does not give the desired or appropriate outcomes that are bad for users. Your website may have great content, but it doesn’t matter if users find it difficult to navigate it. In addition to the inability to obtain suitable results, there are several reasons why you’d want to replace the default search.
WordPress continues to improve, but there is one imperfection — the search function.
To solve this problem and suggest the best alternatives for search on WordPress we developed a lot of plugins. In this post you will learn what’s wrong with the default search on WordPress and on other search options.
What’s wrong with the standard search bar on WordPress?
The default search in WordPress has many disadvantages. He is very limited in scope, namely:
- No options to customize the search
- It is impossible to exclude some pages from search
- You cannot filter the results by systematization, etc.
- No search function AJAX
- The search results are sorted by date, not by relevance
The most important role of any search engine’s ordering. Very important, in which order and location to be page. This is the meaning of search results. The more efficient the ordering is, the more useful should be the search results. This is one of the major drawbacks of search WordPress. In the search by default, you can not determine the location of key words depending on where it is, i.e. the title, comments or the contents of the records.
In General, you have no control over the default search. It would be impossible to create some posts or pages with no search capabilities. Because such a function either. The default search is in dire need of updating. Fortunately, there are alternative solutions to this problem.
Alternatives to the default search of WordPress
Search engines emerged along with the Internet and every day they are getting better. Unfortunately, the default search of WordPress changes are needed. Read on to learn more about alternatives to the standard search.
SearchWP is a premium search solution for WordPress. This is one of the most effective search options by default. It includes many useful search features. Customize search criteria – the task is very simple.
- Filters: You can include or exclude any posts, pages, post type, classification or category from the search engines.
- The extensionIs a very extensive search solution, which has many useful components. SearchWP also allows you to define the location of key words depending on where it is located, i.e. in the title, content, slave, fragment, etc. SearchWP also gives you control over the indexing of PDF and word documents. Want more features? .
- Complete replacement: It replaces completely own the search results ready with his decision. Just activate the plugin and arrange for more convenient — indexing the search will take place automatically. No need to manually update the index. Simply activate and don’t worry, magically the plugin will connect to the search on your website and will take care of the results.
There is also a free version called SearchWP SearchWP Live Ajax Search.
Swiftype Search is reasonable, fast and flexible search solution. It instantly replaces native search to provide faster and more efficient function.
- Enterprise version: This is a plugin that is used by many large sites, it is approved on WordPress VIP, which indicates its good reputation. In addition, Swiftype what a great alternative search engine, it also gives a detailed analysis of your site users, and it is very useful to optimize future posts.
- Based on cloud computing: It processes search queries directly through their servers, which makes the results faster. It also reduces the chances of your website to be clogged due to too many requests.
- Many other features: Feature intuitive drag-and-drop Swiftype allows you to organize the results at its discretion.
You can even manually add the missing pages of results. In addition, Swiftype search has auto-fill, that impresses users.
Google is the most popular and effective search engine in the world. It has trillions of pages that are indexed in the best of interests of the user. Try it, is there a way to enable Google search on your website.
- Google Native Search: As his main search engine, this plugin will display the most relevant and high quality pages in the correct order.
- Google Custom Search: it Turns out you can add Google search to your site. There is a service called Google Custom Search. It allows publishers and website owners to use the technology of Google in their web sites.
Features Of Google Custom Search:
- Customize the appearance, location and color search
- Sets the display of search results
- Enable or disable the search image
- Enable or disable voice search
- Results from multiple websites
There are many useful features of the Google search engine. You can even earn money! To use a Google search on your web site, install WP Google Search. You need to register for Google Custom Search to add and configure a search form. It’s cooler than boring default search, isn’t it?
Relevanssi is another popular search solution for WordPress users. We have many customers who particularly like this plugin because of the unique set of features that it offers. Let’s take a look:
- Relevant results: Relevanssi improve search results, sorting results according to their importance and date. It indicates that the search query among the titles and content of posts. If a query does not fully correspond to the content will be displayed and stand out partial matches.
- Logical operations: With operations OR find the pages that correspond to the two queries. Thus, you can save time by simultaneously searching for multiple queries. In addition, you can also find more queries by using the AND operation.
- Pro version: You can even limit the search by category and tags. As well as to establish a classification of the names, post content and tags. There are two options Relevanssi – free and premium. The premium version guarantees support and is designed to work with WordPress Multisite.
With more than 100,000 active installations and millions of downloads, Relevanssi is one of the most popular search engines for WordPress.
Better Search replaces the default WordPress search for “best search”. This plugin works by sorting the results in order of their relevance to the search query.
- Trace: It also displays prompts and tracks the clicks map to show the most popular searches. You can use short code [bsearch_heatmap] to demonstrate the most popular search queries on your website in a day.
- Settings: There are different options for customizing your search results. For fine tuning you can also adjust the placement of the title and content. Unlike the default search, it allows you to search for posts, pages and classifications.
- Integration: It is combined with the themes on WordPress. And after activation it automatically replaces the default search. You can also filter the results according to the list of stop words to be automatically removed from your search queries.
Better Search is compatible with WP Super Cache, which is very helpful to users.
Algolia company known for its contributions to society, and SaaS Search platform recently released a search plugin for WordPress called Search by Algolia. He’s just incredible. This article was written before was released the plugin, but we couldn’t not mention it.
From the initial installation, this plugin is super fast and incredibly relevant. But there are also negative reviews. For less advanced users it is quite heavy, but the good people at Algolia has created ato help beginners with the configuration.